Sunday, April 22, 2007

Alabama Librarians and Scuba Divers


Beth Ashmore's father Sam grew up in Kankakee's "White City" neighborhood and her mother Dode (Yohnka) Ashmore was raised in nearby Chebanse. Her mother and my father are twins. That fact makes her my cousin. Actually, as you might know just having parents who are siblings makes you someone's cousins, the fact that they are twins is just extra. I am aware that some twins claim to have very special connections to the point where they feel each other's pain. This isn't like Bill Clinton's ability to "feel your pain," this is more like my Dad eating a borrito at midnight and my Aunt Dode wakes up with heartburn. My father claim this never happens to him and his twin sister, mainly because my father dosen't care for most types of spicey mexican dishes. I have better evidence for the fact that some twins dress alike. My father and Aunt Dode did not and do not match outfits as far as I know. However, Beth and I each sport our Kankakee shirts every chance we get.
Beth (on the right) and Jill recently submitted this photo and comment:
"My friend Jill and I got our picture taken in our shirts at the recent Alabama Library Association event in Mobile, Alabama. I actually had a guy come up to me and tell me that he was almost certified in scuba in Kankakee, but something didn't work out with the scheduling so he had to be certified in Florida instead. It puzzled me a bit as to where one would even go scuba diving in Kankakee much less be certified in it, but I guess that just goes to show how much I don't know about the wonders of Kankakee and why it needs an ambassador (even if it is an unofficial one)."
The scuba diver Beth met spoke the truth. Haigh Quarry is a place to go scuba diving in Kankakee. I first heard of it because the folks at the quarry sponsored a racecar at the Kankakee Motor Speedway. Reports from people who have gone diving in the quarry say it is wonderful. The sign at the quarry claims it as "The Caribbean of the Midwest!" Here is the link to the Haigh Quarry:
www.haighquarry.com

No comments: